online art classes
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Below you will find answers to many of the questions you might ask yourself before registering to a class. In accordance with our Terms of Service, we do not offer any refunds and we hope to have provided enough information here, and on each class description page, for you to make an informed decision before making this commitment. For additional questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.
+ HOW DO YOUR ONLINE CLASSES WORK?
- The classes are hosted in a private section of this website, www.lalymille.com, and students get an individual, private member account to access all their classes.
- All the videos are prerecorded, so you can watch them at your own pace, whenever you want, and as many times as you wish.
- My paid classes are self-paced with lifetime access. Some classes are released at a specific date and a whole group starts together, which is motivating and fosters a spirit of community, but everyone is encouraged to follow at their own pace. For some classes, especially new classes involving a lot of content, the lessons might be released over a period of several weeks, but there is no schedule to comply with, no “catching up” or “falling behind”. You are invited to slow down, tune into your own rhythm and approach the creative process with mindfulness and curiosity. That being said, lifetime access should not be an excuse to procrastinate! Make time regularly to complete your course. It is a gift you are giving yourself, a time for growth and connection. It matters, you matter, so don’t save it for "later".
- There’s an interactive commenting section at the bottom of each lesson page within the classroom site, where you can ask me questions, share photos of what you create and connect with other participants. There's also an optional, private Facebook group to connect even more with your fellow participants. The classroom site is where all the teaching happens so please make sure to ask me your questions there, not on Facebook. This way your questions and my answers will remain available for others to read, which will be so helpful. I will typically visit the Facebook group a couple of times a week, while I’m in the classroom almost every day.
+ WHAT ARE YOUR CLASSES LIKE?
- Each class is designed as an experience and a journey. The lessons and exercises build upon each other, from warm-up activities to full, in-depth projects.
- I share my own process as authentically as possible so that in turn, you can be inspired to build your own creative practice in a way that is true to you. I hold nothing back and you will be able to see how I deal with challenges and creative blocks as much as joy and happy accidents. My hope is that you feel like you are with me in the studio!
- To me, the path of the artist is an emotional and spiritual journey where following our heart and the whispers of our souls comes before color theory. That’s why my classes always involve an element of personal development, like taking the time to breathe, journaling, setting an intention, expressing gratitude, learning to trust your intuition, welcoming serendipity and setting up your space in a way that supports your creativity.
+ I CAN'T EVEN DRAW A STRAIGHT LINE... ARE YOUR CLASSES FOR ME?
- Absolutely! There is no need to know how to draw for my classes. When a project includes a figure or a portrait, it's never an advanced technique and there are always alternative solutions, like painting over collage for instance.
- It's really just about building up your confidence, uncovering the art that's in your heart, taking the time to practice and not comparing yourself with those who are further away on their own path. We all need to start somewhere!
+ I’VE NEVER PAINTED, DONE ART JOURNALING OR TRIED MIXED MEDIA BEFORE. CAN I TAKE YOUR CLASSES?
- Yes, you can! I believe that the beginner’s spirit is a true gift, and all the projects in my classes are doable. Of course there will be learning curve if this is completely new to you. Commitment and perseverance are key when we start to shake things up, and "mistakes" are a good thing, because they’re the best way to learn. Trust, self-compassion and a spirit of adventure are super important, and practice is the key!
- I have plenty of FREE, helpful resources to get you started, including a 5-day video workshop all about mixed media art supplies. Join free HERE.
- I also strongly encourage you to participate and share what you create in the comments section at the end of each lesson and in the Facebook group, where you will be encouraged by other beginners and seasoned artists alike. When you see others who are more advanced on their journey, let this inspire you and give you faith that you will get there too. All creatives have been right where you are and my classes have lifetime access so you can take the time to learn at your own perfect pace and go back to the lessons over and over again.
+ I’M A SEASONED ARTIST, ARE YOUR CLASSES FOR ME?
- Yes! There are many seasoned and professional artists in my classes and I’d be honored to have you with us.
- The classes are full of my personal techniques, some I have learned and pass on in my own ways, others I have discovered through happy accidents and experimentation.
- There is also a strong focus on creative strategies to make your practice unique, overcome your blocks and challenge yourself to gently expand your comfort zone.
- I’m a self-taught artist and a certified creativity coach, and I teach in a heart-centered, non-academic way. You will see me in action and will be guided to explore your own world, inside and out. All my classes aim at bringing you closer to your most authentic creative voice.
+ I'M NOT INTO MIXED MEDIA. CAN I DO YOUR CLASSES WITH OTHER TECHNIQUES (WATERCOLOR, ENCAUSTIC, OIL PAINTING...)?
- Maybe. If you are confident enough in your technique of choice, then you might find creative ways to adapt my lessons to your needs. And a lot of the creative mindset we discuss in the classes is not specific to mixed media.
- That being said, I will not offer support for other techniques and you may not find many fellow participants who share your techniques. If learning from peers is important to you, then you need to be aware of this. No refunds will be made.
+ HOW DO I KNOW IF A CLASS IS FOR ME?
- There’s really just one way to know: trust your intuition. If it feels exciting and stirs your curiosity, if it resonates with you in a way that feels really good, that feels like joy, like home, or like a big good sigh and a smile... then it most certainly is for you. Let your inner artist guide you!
- If, on the other hand, you are only looking for technical instructions and are not comfortable with words like heart, soul, intuition, serendipity, wholeness, mindfulness, inner artist, magic or creative spark, or if seeing me draw an oracle card makes you cringe… then my classes are probably not for you.
- You can also start with one of my free lessons to see if my teaching style resonates with you. Please note that refunds will not be made after registration.
+ WHY ARE SEATS LIMITED? WILL YOU OPEN THE CLASS AGAIN IN THE FUTURE?
- Some of my classes are available all-year-round and you can jump in at any time. Other classes, especially the more in-depth and recent ones, have limited seats. For these classes you can put your name on the wait list to get priority access when the next session opens. There are usually 2 or 3 sessions a year for these classes.
- Once you are taking a class with me, I want you to have an amazing time. This means that I want to be available to support you and answer your questions, especially at the beginning. That's why I prefer to limit seats for each session. It also makes it easier for participants to get to know each other, and allows me to keep some time to paint!
+ ONCE I SIGN UP, WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY LOGIN?
- You will first receive a confirmation email as soon as you sign up.
- If the class has instant access: you will receive login instructions shortly after registration, together with your invitation to join the Facebook group.
- If class starts at a specific date, you will receive your login instructions and Facebook invitation when class starts.
- Login instructions will be sent to the email you used during registration. If you need to update your contact email after check-out, you can do so by clicking on the "preferences" link at the bottom of any of our emails or by writing to email@example.com
- If you register while class has already started, you will receive your login instructions within 48hrs.
- If it's the first time you are taking one of my classes, you will be prompted to create your own member login and password for my site. If you are a returning student, you will be invited to add the class to your member account.
- Please add firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to your email contacts list, to ensure that our emails arrive safely in your inbox.
+ HOW LONG WILL THE CLASS AND VIDEOS BE AVAILABLE?
- You will have lifetime access to the classroom and videos.
- "Lifetime" technically means as long as we are operating our business, and our website www.lalymille.com is up and running.
+ ARE THE VIDEOS DOWNLOADABLE?
- No they are not. With lifetime access you can watch the videos within the classroom as many times as you wish, but to protect the integrity of our content (and all the work that went into it) the videos are not downloadable.
- Therefore, before signing up, please make sure that your internet connection allows you to smoothly stream high resolution videos online. Refunds will not be made after registration.
+ WHAT SUPPLIES DO I NEED TO PARTICIPATE?
There is a supplies list for each class. You will also find a list of some favorite supplies on THIS PAGE. On the whole, these are the supplies I use most regularly:
- A basic set of acrylic supplies including some acrylic paints, inks, gesso and matte gel medium.
- A few paintbrushes, including a medium-sized flat brush for collage.
- A variety of materials to stamp and make marks with. Some of my favorite options are bubble-wrap and a plastic card.
- Collage materials: magazine pages, tissue paper, packing paper, book pages, sheet music, sewing pattern paper, old clothes, ribbon, lace... You don't need to buy anything, ask around to your friends and family!
- Some substrates to create on (depending on the projects): an art journal, stretched canvases or wood panels. Wood, MDF and shelving left-overs from your DIY store are a great, inexpensive option.
- A camera (nothing fancy, the one on your phone is fine). This is great to document your process and look at your art from a different perspective.
+ WHAT TECHNICAL SETUP DO I NEED TO PARTICIPATE?
Please be aware that the class pages often content multiple images and embedded videos. To avaid slow loading time, please comply with the following guidelines:
- A desktop computer or laptop is best. Alternatively you can use a tablet but some of them might not let you upload images in the comments of the site. Whatever your device, make sure it is up-to-date, in good working order and with no content restrictions (parental control, anti-popup etc.)
- A high-speed, internet connection, preferably Wifi (not cellular), strong enough to load pages with multiple media contents and smoothly stream high resolution videos online.
- The latest version of Chrome or Firefox installed on your device. If you are using an Apple device, we strongly encourage you to use Chrome or Firefox instead of Safari, as it is known to create issues with the commenting system and will often prevent you from posting images. You can download them from the App Store.
- Make sure your browser is set to accept all cookies. Cookies allow our system to recognize you as a member.
+ WHAT IF I’M HAVING TROUBLE ACCESSING A LESSON?
- The internet is not a perfect world and temporary glitches may happen that we are not responsible for. The first thing to do is be patient and respectful.
- If you are having difficulty loading a lesson page or video, make sure to clear your cache and cookies, check that no other apps are running in the background (updates, cloud storage synchronizing etc.), check your cookie settings and internet connection, close and restart your browser, log out of the class, then log back in. Make sure you are using one of the recommended browsers (currently Chrome and Firefox) and a strong Wifi connection.
- If you are still having trouble accessing the class, contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will check that there are no issues on our side. On extremely rare occasions, our website host might be running an update and suspending the service for a short time. We are not responsible for this and it will usually be resolved within a few hours. Remember that the classes are self-paced with lifetime access so there is no rush. Why not take advantage of this time to paint?
- Please understand that an issue on our side would affect all users. If other participants are able to access the lesson as usual, then it means that our service is running smoothly and the problem is not coming from us. We may be able to offer helpful suggestions but we cannot take responsibility for individual technical issues. We understand that this may be frustrating, but refunds will not be made after registration.
+ CAN I COMMUNICATE WITH OTHER PARTICIPANTS?
Yes! And I warmly encourage you to! Community has been so important in walking my creative path.
- You can share and connect in the comments section at the bottom of each lesson within the classroom site.
- You will also have access to a private, optional Facebook group.
+ WILL THE PROJECTS BE THE SAME AS SHOWN IN THE PROMO VIDEOS?
- Yes. The images in my videos are usually filmed while filming the class.
- That being said, even though I'll be sharing with you my personal creative process, and you will see me complete the projects from start to finish, I will always encourage you to experiment with what feels good and natural to you: the shapes, colors, composition, textures that most speak to you. And to stretch your creative muscles by finding new ways to use the supplies and materials you have at your disposal.
+ CAN I SHARE, EXHIBIT AND/OR SELL THE ART I CREATE FROM THE PROJECTS OF YOUR CLASSES?
- Yes:If the art you create from my workshops ends up being very personal and different from mine.
- No:If the pieces you create end up being very similar to the projects I demonstrate, then it is not ok to exhibit them either offline or online as your own personal creations. They are just a part of your learning journey. You are of course welcome to share them on your blog or social media, as long as you credit me and link back to www.lalymille.com
- If in doubt, email me a picture and ask me directly. I'll do my best to help.
+ THE PRICE OF THE COURSE IS IN EUROS AND USD, HOW MUCH IS IT IN MY COUNTRY'S CURRENCY?
- You can check the price conversion with online tools such as xe.com. It fluctuates slightly from day to day. You will see the correct price in your own currency at checkout on Paypal or Stripe.
- International students: please note that selecting Euro will often give you a better exchange rate.
+ DO YOU OFFER ANY REFUNDS?
- In particular, please make sure that your internet connection allows you to smoothly stream high resolution videos online. The videos are not downloadable and we are not responsible for individual technical issues. No refunds will be made.
- If any unexpected life issue prevents you from taking the class as you had planned, remember that you have lifetime access and the class will be available for you whenever you are ready. If you don’t think you will ever be able to take the class you have purchased, contact us and we can discuss transferring it to a friend. No refunds will be made.
+ HOW CAN I REACH OUT TO YOU?
- Please post your art-related questions in the comments section at the bottom of the corresponding lesson, so that other participants can benefit and help. This is the only place to ask me your questions. Due to the number of students, I will not be answering individual questions by email or through Facebook messages.
- For administrative or technical questions (login, email not received, billing, payment plan, invoices etc), please contact us by email only through the contact page or by writing to email@example.com. Do not post these in the Facebook group, through messenger or in the classroom comments. My husband William and I will do our best to reply to your message within 48 hours (Monday to Friday). Please note that we are located in France so there might be a little timezone difference!